- If you didn't use NL101.vfemail.net, then your mailbox is gone. Send yourself an email to re-create it (if necessary).
- After the initial incident on 2/11, incoming mail was queued on the sending servers.
These should have started coming in within 12 hours, creating new mailboxes for existing accounts - 'new' mail should not be lost.
- Accounts exist, the mail data does not. If your mailbox hasn't been re-created, you can't login. Send yourself an email to re-create it.
- If you're one of the 10% who used webmail, your addressbook and calendars still exist.
- If you can't login, use https://NL101.vfemail.net to login to webmail.
- If you used POP. Change your mail server to NL101.vfemail.net
- If you used IMAP. CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT IN YOUR CLIENT, and use NL101.vfemail.net for the server name.
DO NOT CHANGE AN EXISTING CONFIGURATION, YOU WILL SYNC WITH AN EMPTY MAILBOX AND LOSE YOUR LOCAL MAIL.
- The control panel has been mostly restored.
- Consider your mailbox data to be lost, but we haven't given up yet.
- Data up to August 2016 has been recovered so far. You can connect to NL101.vfemail.net port 1144 to access it.
This can also be done within Horde, add a Remote Account in Gear -> Preferences -> Mail
Then enter - Name, Secure if Avail, IMAP, localhost, your_vfemail_login, 1144
As of 5am 2/11/19
www.vfemail.net and mail.vfemail.net are currently unavailable.
We have suffered catastrophic destruction at the hands of a hacker, last seen as firstname.lastname@example.org
This person has destroyed all data in the US, both primary and backup systems. We are working to recover what data we can.
New updates 2/11/19 6pm CST:
- Incoming mail is now being delivered.
- Webmail is up. Note-mailboxes are created upon new mail delivery. If you cannot login, you may not have received mail.
- Mailboxes are new, no subfolders exist.
- No filters are in place. If you created a filter with Horde, Login to Horde, Create any folders you need.
Click Filter, Click Script, then click 'Activate Script'.
There is no spam scanning at this time - Incoming mail may be Spam scanned depending on DNS status.
- Free users should not attempt to send email, there is currently no delivery mechanism for free accounts. Paid accounts should be useable, including Horde/Roundcube contacts and calendars.
- NL hosted email is available (if you bought and requested a Migraiton).
At this time I am unsure of the status of existing mail for US users. If you have your own email client, DO NOT TRY TO MAKE IT WORK.
If you reconnect your client to your new mailbox, all your local mail will be lost.
AT YOUR OWN RISK - POP users can use 'NL101.vfemail.net'
IMAP Users should create a new account, then use 'NL101.vfemail.net' as the IMAP/SMTP server
- If you are unable to login, send yourself an email from another location. Receipt of an email creates your new mailbox.
- We have engaged a data recovery vendor to discuss options.
- Mailboxes were shutdown for a short time while we move data between volumes
We've used 11Gb of space in 2 days - FYI.
- Vanity domains should receive mail properly now
- If you were set to 'nobackup', you should start receiving mail now.
2/14/19 - Happy Valentine's Day!
- Server Settings link has been published.
- Older Control Panel is online. Manage Aliases and Passwords. Domains,Users,FetchMail are not operational.
- A utility server is effectively untouched. This will allow quicker restoration of back-end processes, such as Fetchmail
- An older offsite backup server was unearthed and revived. The last backup is in August of 2016. At this time we're considering options on how to safely provide access to that data
- More Control Panel options are available.
- The Reset PW link is now available if you're forgotten your password
- All Personal domains are set to 'bounce' unknown addresses. Please ensure your domain is set as you expect.
- Mailboxes that existed prior to August 2016 are now accessible from NL101.vfemail.net, port 1144
- Forward Activation in the Control Panel was not functioning - fixed
- Contact Form Rewritten
- New Web server in production. Cloudflare fully activated - flush your browser cookies & cache.
- NL101 web presence redirected to www.
- Challenge/Response fully restored
- Spam system fully restored.
- Still running into resource issues - working on additional upgrades
- Random SMTP issues should be resolved. This was due to trying to consolidate front-end software, and the new submission software not working with older clients.
- Spam Preferences fixed (for real this time)
- New domain creations was missing final delivery step - fixed
- Troubleshooting a single user's delivery issue due to bad quota calulation exposed a delivery/resource optimization path.
- Moving NL101 back to www server to segregate incoming mail/processing from user interface. This was attempted and thwarted by client issues with Dovecot's new submission relay module.
- Unfortunately we will not be able to recover any of the data.
- All user-facing services have been consolidated to a single VM
- www, mail, nl101 are all now the system system
- 'mail.vfemail.net' is now back online.
- Certs have been renewed (Let's Encrypt) This includes 'pop' and 'imap' hostnames
- openmail.cc has been migrated to the new VM
- More disk space added
- 'mail.vfemail.net' IMAP/POP/SMTP has been taken offline. It seems there were thousands of automated hosts just waiting, and it's overloaded our current infrastructure.